Rat Lovers Are Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Rat Lovers Are Us

A forum where Rat lovers can get together without fear of draconian reactions. :D

You are not connected. Please login or register

croaking baby rat

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1croaking baby rat Empty croaking baby rat Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:45 am

ratrulesok

ratrulesok
Rat Overloard
Rat Overloard

I got all the babies out today and little templar was rasping and croaking bairly moving and thin, he was fine when I cleaned them out sunday how on earth did he get so ill so fast?
got him on his own with some food but....well I dont hold out much hope.
going to vets first thing in the morn right now he is snuggled up on me.

2croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm

a_wee_one

a_wee_one
Admin
Admin

He shouldn't really be on his own. They still feed off mum at this point and the milk will be vita; for him is he is already ill. Fingers crossed the vets can sort him out. Sad

I'll warn you against baytril though as it can stunt their growth if given so early.

http://stumpyone.blogspot.com/

3croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:27 pm

ratrulesok

ratrulesok
Rat Overloard
Rat Overloard

the vet told me to seperate him! He has food and such, I will put him in with mommy and babies.
God one person says put them seperate now another says keep them together I am so confused.
He has anti biotics and stuff.

4croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:43 pm

a_wee_one

a_wee_one
Admin
Admin

How old are they? He's too little to be away and it's likely myco anyway which all rats carry. I only seperate if it's something serious. With being so small i wouldn't have them away from mum at that age.

Do you have malt paste? Good for beefing up under weight rats, it's for ferrets i think. Also porridge. Smile

5croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 pm

ratrulesok

ratrulesok
Rat Overloard
Rat Overloard

put mother Anna in with Templar and she gave him a clean and let him suckle, gonna leave her in with him for a week with his meds and her milk, as well as plenty of lactol I am hoping to get this sorted, but getting a bit irate with some people telling me to separate others telling me not to, what the hell should I do?
he is 4 weeks and 2 days I have malt paste and porridge I will sort him out with some now.
but I am not sure about putting the babies back with mother as the other babies are all feeding off food now, they dont bother with Anna really and I dont want them all in with him as he wont get a look in.

6croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:59 pm

ratrulesok

ratrulesok
Rat Overloard
Rat Overloard

sorry if I seem snippy I didn't sleep much last night, templar fed from Anna a few times now, he seems a bit better.

7croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:51 pm

a_wee_one

a_wee_one
Admin
Admin

No it's no bother. Boys would be away from mum from about 4.5 weeks. So soon, probably tomorrow he can be away but it's a very young age for the vet to tell you to seperate him. Did he say what was up with him? When he is away just put lots of yummy foods in. Oily fish is good in tomoatoe sauces, the tinned kind. I also gave mine rusks soaked in soya milk. Is he vastly under weight?

8croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 am

ratrulesok

ratrulesok
Rat Overloard
Rat Overloard

a_wee_one wrote:No it's no bother. Boys would be away from mum from about 4.5 weeks. So soon, probably tomorrow he can be away but it's a very young age for the vet to tell you to seperate him. Did he say what was up with him? When he is away just put lots of yummy foods in. Oily fish is good in tomoatoe sauces, the tinned kind. I also gave mine rusks soaked in soya milk. Is he vastly under weight?
he is only 50grams, he is only 4 weeks and 2 days, one girl was on at me on Gaia saying they should be seperated at 3-4 weeks thank god I didn't listen to her, I got some lovely fish, he has had some malt paste, I got rusks to, I usually mix mine with some lactol.
He is thin as in feel bones in tail thin, but he has been drinking nearly non stop from Anna since I put her in with him, his brothers and sisters keep bothering him so they are separate and they trough down normal food anyway.
Got a vial of antibiotics and Echinacea to, made up some lactol put it in bowl he has had lick, also did some chicken and he has had some of that to.

9croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:52 am

a_wee_one

a_wee_one
Admin
Admin

He should soon start to pick up then. Sounds like he's getting enough calories. I think 4.5 weeks is too early but apparently certain lines are actually ready to breed at 5 weeks so you have to seperate them on the off chance.

10croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:18 am

ratrulesok

ratrulesok
Rat Overloard
Rat Overloard

a_wee_one wrote:He should soon start to pick up then. Sounds like he's getting enough calories. I think 4.5 weeks is too early but apparently certain lines are actually ready to breed at 5 weeks so you have to seperate them on the off chance.

gonna do him some porridge for tea, wow five weeks and able to breed they sure get started young, just given his other lot of antibiotics, will make up some more lactol soon to, also made a descision I am going to use newspaper for the cages and clean them more often, as I think the smell of their waste could be making them ill to, sure I clean them weekly but in this heat...well.

11croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:49 am

a_wee_one

a_wee_one
Admin
Admin

Yeah i use my nose, if i get an odd whiff then it's time to clean them out cause to them the smell must be over powering.

12croaking baby rat Empty Re: croaking baby rat Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:21 pm

ratrulesok

ratrulesok
Rat Overloard
Rat Overloard

well he is a bit better the chest rattling is not so bad, he is still with mother she has bought him along no end, at the end of the week he will be on his own again and she will go back with the girls, te newspaper only has stop LOADS of sneezing the finacard is the culprut I will be newspapers from now on.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum